Monday, May 26, 2014

Solstice Scents Haul/Review



So I got my order from Solstice Scents. When I placed the order, the scents sounded right up my alley, so I was waiting quite impatiently for them to arrive, even with the very quick TAT and shipping time.

I placed the order on May 20th, it shipped on the 21st and it arrived on the 24th. I did the same thing for this order as I did for the Haus of Gloi order, my husband and I both smelled them without having read the descriptions, and we tried to figure out what it is we were smelling. I've included the description for the perfumes as well as our first impressions and other general comments about each.

What I received:

The Foxcroft Collection (Sample size) which includes:
     Minister
     Sycamore Sugarworks
     Covered Bridge
     Blackburn's Parlor
     Maplewood Inn
     Maine Moon

And samples in the following:
     Snowmint Mallow (free)
     Sugarvale
     Dark Ginger Spicecake (free)

Minister: Sandalwood, Amber, Cassia, Elemi, Sweet Smoke & Somalian Frankincense

My First Impression: Spicy? Possibly sandalwood?

His First Impression: Musky/Creamy undertone w/ smoother floral finish

Other Comments: This one is a fairly masculine scent, it's not too bad. Very spicy smelling, very intriguing smell. I'll give it a test wear, but it does seem masculine so I'll seen how that goes.

Sycamore Sugarworks: Caramelized Pear Tarts, Banana Apple Muffins, Spice Cakes With Rum Glaze, Cream Puffs & Maple Walnut Pastries
My First Impression: Vanilla cake, sugar, hint of spice

His First Impression: Sugary Cake

Other Comments: This smells delicious, I haven't worn it yet, but I already love it. Can't wait to see how it wears. Very rich, very gourmand. Absolutely lovely and will probably end up buying full size if it wears well.

Covered Bridge: Woods, Moss, Leaves, Wood Smoke, Dirt, Ozone, Fir Absolute
My First Impression: Woody, Green? Sharp.

His First Impression: Minty/Grass

Other Comments: This is definitely what outside smells like, I don't really dig that type of smell, as I lean more towards the creamier/foodie smells. This is nice and a very accurate description. I will definitely give it a test wear.

Blackburn's Parlor: Vanilla Waffle Bowl, Vanilla & Chocolate Ice Creams, Sliced Bananas Smothered In Caramel Sauce & Topped With Whipped Cream
My First Impression: Waffle cone, caramel

His First Impression: Fruit, cherry vanilla

Other Comments: This is lovely as well, the banana definitely comes out but blends very nicely with all the vanilla, and the hint of caramel comes out nicely as well. Already did a test wear of this and it doesn't seem to last a huge amount of time (got several hours out of it) but it smells so good, I'm not even bothered by that. Will probably buy a full size of this.

Maplewood Inn: Maple, Woods, Amber, Benzoin, A Roaring Fire & A Hot Cup of Frothy Vanilla Chai
My First Impression: Maple and wood smoke

His First Impression: Leaves, fir and musk

Other Comments: I can definitely smell the smoke the most. It's very heavy, so beware if you aren't fond of smoke. I test wore this, and it really seems to amp up the smokiness. The hint of maple definitely falls by the wayside a bit more than I wish it would. Wanted this one to be my favorite but alas, I think this is just an occasional scent.

Main Moon: Crisp Fall Air, Wood Smoke, Leather Seats & Concessions of Root Beer, Popcorn & Chocolate Covered Caramels
My First Impression: Earthy, root beer?

His First Impression: Pecans, vanilla cookie, chocolate?

Other Comments: Hmmmm, not sure I much care for this. I could see it turning into something much nicer with wear (which I haven't done yet), but I could also see absolutely hating this one.

Snowmint Mallow: Peppermint, Vanilla Cake, Flaked Coconut, Sugar Cookies & Marshmallow Creme

My First Impression: Creamy peppermint, after dinner mints

His First Impression: Mint, syrup on something, savory, cookie/chocolate, mint chocolate chip

Other Comments: This one is fantastic. So far it's my favorite, I will be placing an order for this one in full size. It smells very similar to those awesome butter cream after dinner mints that just melt in your mouth. This one doesn't seem to last more than a few hours, but it smells so heavenly, so eh.

Sugarvale: Candied Pecans, Butterscotch, Buttered Rum, Brown Sugar, Maple Syrup, Hot Pralines & Milk Chocolate Cocoa

My First Impression: vanilla, maple, very sweet

His First Impression: Candied something, cake or caramel, saltiness?

Other Comments: This one is absolutely delicious. I haven't worn it yet, but I know I'm going to love it. It's very very rich smelling and just plain mmmmmmm. Will be ordering full size.

Dark Ginger Spicecake: Gingerbread, Woodsy Musk, Patchouli EO and Vetiver EO

My First Impression: Gingerbread, mmmmm 

His First Impression: Leaves? Very sharp.

Other Comments: This one is a very sharp smell. Will be an interesting test wear. Not completely decided yet, but hoping the gingerbread comes out a bit more.

Final thoughts: I really enjoyed most of the scents from this order. Several I will be placing an order for full sizes, the ordering experience was fantastic as well as the TAT. The package came very nicely wrapped, the samples were in little baggies in case of spillage, the themed cards that came with it were very nicely done, and overall I'm very impressed.

I should be receiving an small order from Darling Girl tomorrow, so look for my next post to include swatches/reviews of that haul which should include the Primped and Primed Eye Lid Primer & Eyeshadows in Frankenstein, Bronze Dawn and London Calling.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment